Thursday, March 02, 2006

Saying Goodbye To Harry

By now I am sure that the news has reached most folks about the passing of Harry Browne, author, former LP candidate for President, TV and radio personality and all around nice guy. Reports are that Harry died from Lou Gherig's disease at his home in Franklin, Tennessee, yesterday.

I didn't know Harry as well as many people. I only met him once, at the Libertarian National Convention in Indianapolis and he was as nice as could be, taking time out to talk with me on his way to some meeting he had to make. But, he made time to talk.We corresponded over the years about a number of subjects and even when we weren't on the same page he was a gentlemanly Southerner in every respect. Harry was always punctual in replying to my queries on one or another aspect of something, even when he was on the road campaigning or dealing with issues after his campaigning days were past. That meant a lot to me. Those email "conversations" we had cleared up a great many questions I had about him, his principles, libertarianism and more. I never failed to give him my vote when he was on the ballot. He would have had that vote anyway, but he went that extra mile and sold himself to me. That's 100% more than any other candidate has ever done for me.

Harry was against the Iraq war from the start, long before the Left side of the dominant party got going. He took enourmous amounts of heat for his stance and took it well. He stood as a sterling example to those of us who were also against the Iraq War and led by example. You couldn't ask for more than that. He spoke up when words needed saying, he didn't wait or make excuses. He spoke up, for himself and for the rest of us. That took a particular kind of courage that is all too lacking in some people.
I'm going to miss Harry. It will be a long time before we see his like again in Libertarian politics.
Rest In Peace, Harry. I'm going to miss you.

What other people are saying:
Kn@ppster
Hammer of Truth
Liberty Filter


Technorati Tags:

,
,

No comments: